Monday, 19 January 2015

How to beat your cold in under 24 hours



I've been struck down by the common cold and have been feeling absolutely rubbish. Through looking at tips and tricks on the Internet I've put together a how to beat your cold in under 24 hours guide!

 First up, I know you're feeling groggy but you need to get in that shower. Yes I know you're tired but a hot steamy shower first thing in the morning will not only wake you up but will also help to unblock your nose so you're less congested throughout the day. They say you feel worse in the morning so you really need to do all you can to perk yourself up!

Next, make sure you wrap up warm and thoroughly dry your hair, there's nothing worse than going outside and making yourself feel even worse cause you have damp hair when that's one way to get a cold in the first place! Scarves are your best friend if you have a sore throat, too.

When you're not in your room and won't be for a while, open the windows and shut the door to give it a good airing. If you're coughing and sneezing all night and then shutting the door you're pretty much leaving your room to incubate your cold. Do this while you're eating your breakfast and try putting your make up on in a different room so you can give your bedroom some time to circulate fresh air. Washing your sheets is a good idea too for the same reason.

Exercise. Some of you may have given up your exercise resolution already but it really is the best thing. If you don't fancy going out in the cold try some yoga or head to your local gym and see if you can work out that cold!

Eat a good hearty breakfast such as porridge with berries and orange juice. If you're not keen on porridge like me try muesli wit some fruit on top.

Gargle with salt water to help a sore throat. I know it's disgusting but we all know it works. Fill a cup with warm water and add half a teaspoon of salt, or a whole teaspoon if your cup is quite big, you won't need a lot though. I guess this goes without saying but do this after your breakfast!

Another thing which I found really helpful is putting your head over some hot water with a towel over your head. You'll be surprised how much you'll sweat and how clear your head and nose will feel afterwards, I added a few drops of albas oil to my water to really power the cold out.

Make sure to take a bottle of water or juice with you to school/uni/work, it's important for you to keep hydrated to keep headaches at bay. I've been taking orange juice with me to up mu Vitamin C intake which is said to be good for fending off a cold, too.

In terms of food, think protein and spice. I chose grilled piri piri chicken salad with lots of spinach. 

Now just before you tuck yourself into bed have a long warm bath. This will ease those aching muscles and may help relieve any tension or sinus headaches you may have due to the steam. 


Pop a few drops of albas oil on your pillow and drift off to sleep. Hopefully you'll feel better in the morning!

Have you got any tips or tricks for getting rid of a cold quick?
cottonandcandie x

4 comments:

  1. These are great tips! I haven't had a cold this winter (I hope I haven't cursed myself haha!) but I always think getting in the shower helps and makes you feel refreshed. :) x

    Beyond the Velvet | Fashion, Beauty and Lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you haven't cursed yourself too, a cold can make you feel so groggy in the winter and can sometimes last for ages! xx

      Delete
  2. I am just at the end (hopefully) of the classic January back-to-uni cold, I've found that hot lemon water and also Vitamin C in hot water really helped me a lot. Also neti pots are great - if also a bit odd at first ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually used neti pots before, so good for sinus headaches! The hot lemon water is a great tip, thank you! xx

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this post!
cottonandcandie x