Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Workout routine



This is going to be one of two blog posts which are a little bit fitness-y, with a post on gymwear scheduled for Saturday, so if you couldn't care less about exercise and keeping healthy then don't worry this isn't a regular thing - do let me know if you like it though!

With Summer holidays coming up everyone wants to look their best while they're baring a bit more skin. My aim is generally just to tone up my lower half a bit, focussing on my legs and glutes rather than my stomach or arms. I'm not saying that what I do is the workout of the year I'm just saying that this is what I do, and it works for me!

I start off on the treadmill walking uphill; walking uphill can actually burn more calories than running, and with a steep incline you can really tone your glutes (everyone wants a bubble butt, right?) and legs. This is better for me as a person who has hip and knee trouble as it does not put as much strain on these areas. I do this for ten minutes and usually burn around 130 calories. I put the incline up to the steepest and the speed up to 5, although I think "5" is the level of the treadmill rather than the mph.

After this I go to the cross trainer and again, do this for ten minutes. With this I burn around 120 calories sometimes more if I really push myself. With the cross trainer at my gym you can adjust the "load", i.e. the amount of resistance and weight behind the cross trainer. I have my load up quite high as I would prefer to tone my legs rather than to make them smaller. If you're looking to lose weight then it would be more beneficial to go for a lighter load so that your pace is a lot faster.

I then go on the bike for a further 10 minutes, again with quite a heavy load. I find this doesn't burn as many calories for me (only around 60!) but this is the one that I really feel in my thighs which is an area which I want to work on so I keep at it! 

Then I head to the mat. It took me ages to get the courage to go and work out in front of everyone but it totally doesn't bother me anymore. Going with a friend and doing a workout together definitely helps with this side of things, too! 

I do two lots of 15 squats with a 4kg bar on my shoulders. One lot I do a sumo squat which is where you have a wide stance and toes pointed out, this is a deep squat which you can really feel in your inner thighs. Count to 3 when you're down and squeeeeze your glutes when you come up to standing. Same goes for my second lot of squats which are your typical standard squat: feet a little wider than hip-width apart and toes pointing forwards. These sort of squats you will not be able to go as low but you'll really feel them in your glutes. 

Always remember to make sure your back is straight and your knees aren't going over your toes at any point. 

I then do a set of 15 "donkey kicks" on each leg, a one minute plank which I time using my phone and then stretch - my favourite part. My typical stretches include touching your toes from standing and then sitting, standing and then sitting with feet wide apart and stretching to touch one foot and then the next. - It's so hard to try and explain these! 

What do you do to workout? 
cottonandcandie x




2 comments:

  1. I do some cardio, then weights then mat work. I do sumo squats too (with dumbells) but I didn't know that they were called that! I will give donkey kicks a try next time though.

    Cadaea | Cadaea.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought about doing sumo squats with dumbells, they might be better for me actually as I always seem to get knots in my shoulders! xx

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this post!
cottonandcandie x